Download my Resume as a
I am currently UNAVAILABLE.
I am NOT OPEN to hearing about salaried employment opportunities.
EDWIN W. MEYER
PRINCIPAL SOFTWARE ENGINEER
The hallmarks of my career as a software developer have been a search for superior development techniques, integrity and dedication to the needs of the project, effective communication with all project stakeholders, meticulous standards, and systems that work.
· Extensive IT experience in business, industrial and educational environments, including over eight years experience with Ruby on Rails and related web technologies.
· Analyzed, designed, developed and implemented various applications utilizing Ruby on Rails. Work in an agile environment.
· Wrote software courseware and books, led trainings.
· Effective and supportive communication with development, quality assurance and operations staff, technical and business managers, vendors and customers.
· High availability support including intensive work to meet deadlines and resolve urgent production issues.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology. B.S. Electrical Eng. National Merit Scholar.
Harvard University. Graduate extension school coursework in expert systems, C++, object-oriented programming, and discrete mathematics.
Pinnacol Assurance (Denver, CO) 2016 – 2017
· Member of the Online Development group of Colorado’s largest issuer of workers' compensation insurance policies.
· Performed development and bug fixes on a suite of Rails web applications that allows employers and agents to manage policies and claims by injured workers.
· Temporarily assigned to the Business Support group to investigate and fix issues related to both the Rails and legacy Oracle Pro*C web applications. Familiarization with a wide variety of subsystems to make fixes with a minimum of support.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 4, Oracle SQL, Git, Rspec, Mac OS X.
Vibes.com (Chicago, IL) 2015
· Short-term assignment with the Mobile Solutions Group. Performed server-side implementation of holiday special mobile website for leading retailer.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 4, Postgres SQL, Heroku, Git, Rspec, Confluence, Mac OS X.
Huron Consulting Group (Chicago, IL) 2015
· Performed development and bug fixes for a legal document management system produced by Huron partner Allegory Law.
· Worked primarily remotely, interacting with the lead Allegory developer in Oregon.
Cars.com (Chicago, IL) 2014 to 2015
· Performed analysis, maintenance, and build-out for Auto.com, a high-volume AWS-hosted multi-server application that provides new and used auto listing search to the public.
· Worked on-site and remotely as part of a small team located in Chicago and Austin, TX.
· Analyzed performance using New Relic and other techniques and proposed & implemented web app response improvements.
· Implemented app monitoring features in the ActiveAdmin UI.
· Documented briefings by departing general manager and others.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, RSpec, ActiveAdmin, Amazon Web Services, Sphinx, Vagrant, New Relic, Mac OS X.
Venture Interactive (Harrisonburg, VA) 2014
· Hired by my earliest Ruby on Rails client (see 2008-2009 entry) to help meet a delivery deadline for a custom content management system (CMS) that creates legal compliance training modules in multiple languages.
· Designed and implemented a custom authentication scheme using the Devise Ruby gem.
· Implemented custom authorization for access to various resources based upon the user's role and project-level & language access.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Devise, Linux, RubyMine.
Op4G (Portsmouth, NH) 2014
· Added new functionality and fixed bugs in the admin and public websites for an online market research firm.
· Worked remotely with minimal direction from the CTO.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Linux, Resque, RubyMine.
Sears Holdings Corporation (Chicago, IL) 2012 to 2013
· Designed and implemented features of a REST API that mediates between product orders placed on partner web sites and internal Sears services which perform fulfillment.
· Implemented order tracking features in the Admin UI and order status reports.
· Provided operational support, investigated partner issues and software defects.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Mongo DB, Git, RSpec, ActiveAdmin, Jenkins, Jira, Mac OS X, Agile Methodology.
McDavid, Inc. (Woodridge, IL) 2013 to 2014
· Assumed responsibility for deployment, maintenance, and improvement of the hybrid Rails/Windows Server website of a sports protection equipment manufacturer.
· Researched application features. Created a Rails development environment, Linux and Windows test servers, Git repository, and configured Capistrano for software deployments.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, MySql, Git, Capistrano, Refinery, Ubuntu Linux, Windows Server 2008, IIRF.
Local Offer Network (Chicago, IL) 2012
· Designed and implemented Bayesian and other statistical modules for automatic categorization of new advertiser offers. Created a companion test program to analyze performance of the categorizers.
Environment: Ruby on Rails 3, Mongo DB, MySql, RubyMine, Git, RSpec, Mac OS X.
Aon Hewitt Corp. (Lincolnshire, IL) 2011 to 2012
· Designed and implemented new Ruby on Rails functionality for extensions to an existing health insurance sales and customer relationship management system and companion public-facing website.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, RubyMine, Subversion, Mac OS X.
Argonne National Laboratory (Lemont, IL) 2010 to 2011
· Designed and implemented a radiation exposure management system in Ruby on Rails.
· Interviewed radiation safety section staff regarding existing paper-based system.
· Performed analysis and design. Implemented the replacement web application.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, Oracle, Ubuntu Linux, HTML, CSS, Subversion.
Metromix.com (Chicago, IL) 2009 to 2010
· Designed and implemented the mobile version of a leading entertainment website targeted towards the 21-35 age group in Ruby on Rails.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, Mac OS X, HTML, CSS, Haml, Git.
Venture Interactive (Harrisonburg, VA) 2008 to 2009
· Designed and developed the “MoodManager” Ruby on Rails web application to help users cope with depression. Delivered to the Northwestern University Medical School.
· Assumed responsibility on short notice after the original lead developer left the project.
Environment: Ruby on Rails, MySQL, HTML, CSS, Subversion, Adobe Flash, Apache, Phusion Passenger, Windows XP (development), Linux (hosted Red Hat/Ubuntu).
· Digimarc Corporation (Burlington, MA) & Polaroid Corp. (Bedford, MA) – Analysis, design and implementation of several drivers license systems. (Java J2EE & C++)
· Lotus Development
Sales Engineer - Munich, Germany.
Provided support and trainings in German on Lotus Notes for value added resellers and customers.
Principal Software Engineer - Cambridge, MA. C-API development for a database product.
· M.I.T. Project MAC (Cambridge, MA) – MULTICS operating system development including: ARPANET software interface, graphics system, system internals.
· Competent in German; studied Russian.
· U.S. Citizen.